Monday, November 11, 2013

We say, "Women, DON'T BE a doormat." We say, "Christians, BE a doormat."

1 Timothy 1:3-7

As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies.  Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work—which is by faith The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.  Some have departed from these and have turned to meaningless talk.  They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

What brought me to 1 Timothy?  An article I read this morning that bothered me in regards to the stereotypes of Christians and The Church.  Why did it disturb me? Because it's a stereotype that is true.  Complacent Christians.  Lukewarm Christians.  False Christians.  Christians that turn a blind eye.  I'm wondering how God feels about those that are neither here nor there since we always tend to make Him out to be only forgiving, only loving, only merciful, only gracious.  Only heaven and no hell.  Let's see...

Revelation 3:15-16 - I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Well now that doesn't sound very nice does it?  That's not very forgiving or loving or merciful or gracious.  Hmm.  How dare God want to spit us out of His mouth because of our disgusting taste just because we don't worship Him or give Him the praise He deserves.  Shouldn't we be able to live how we want and just accept all people for who they are, supporting them, no matter how they live or what their beliefs are?  I mean God loves us and wants what is best for us so He should just look over all the crap we do and the disrespect we show Him - even worshipping other things instead of Him.  Like....I mean...show us some slack, God.  Right?

I read an article this morning titled, "Northwest Christian University Class President Reveals He's An Atheist".  I don't know why I decided to read it but I did.  Pretty early on in the article it mentioned that a student, Eric Fromm, enrolled because the college had a "solid communications program" and that once he did some research and realized there was "no one speaking in tongues or handling snakes" he decided to enroll.   "Really?', I thought. "Speaking in tongues and snake handling?  Whatever."  As I read on, the school and students are supporting his "coming out" as an atheist.  The school has no intention of asking the student to step down as class president as quoted...

"Eric is an exemplary student, a good friend, a thorough academic, and when it comes to credibility as the ASNCU president he is the best qualified to fill that position," McGinnis told ABC News.


Now I have a bit of a problem with this.  The institution is supporting his role as class president?  Why?  I looked up the mission statement for Northwest Christian University because I figured I was missing something.  Here's what I found:


Mission, Vision and Core Themes

MISSION

NCU is a University that fosters wisdom, faith and service through excellent academic programs within a Christ-centered community. 

VISION

NCU aspires to be a University characterized by its commitment to equip students to discover and answer God's call in their lives.

NCU achieves this vision through academic excellence and faithful stewardship in a Christ-centered community that develops purposeful graduates.  

CORE THEMES

  • Manifest excellence in Christian higher education
  • Exercise faithful stewardship
  • Foster life-transformation in a Christ-centered community
  • Develop purposeful graduates
So my question is why are you allowing a self proclaimed atheist to lead your student body?  I see the word "Christ" all throughout your mission, vision, and core themes yet you are ok with someone who doesn't even believe in God to lead your students?  How ridiculous and insulting!  I am in no way suggesting to shun Mr. Fromm in any way and am quite pleased to hear him say that he has received much hugs while on campus.  Christians are commanded to love.  However, hugs don't condone such behavior.  Let's not distort anything here.  My only concern is if those hugs are given out of love and a petition to pray for lost souls or as an act of condoning "a brave proclamation at the risk of rejection".  You, NCU, are advertising yourself to be a Christ-centered community.  That's fine.  Be the hands of feet of Christ.  What you don't need to do is allow NON CHRIST-CENTERED individuals to be leaders in your community. That, NCU, is stomping on the hands and feet of Christ!  What a slap in the face to our God that you could be so complacent and rebellious to allow a rebel of God to lead your people in order to feed your own publicity and lack of morals.  It is absolutely no wonder that the world sees Christians as hypocrites.  Christians even see Christians as hypocritical.  How do you expect to bring others to Christ when you have, and advocate, and unbeliever heading up your student body?  If you don't want to be a Christian-based institution anymore, then change your name to fit your actions.  You, NCU, are 1 Timothy 1:6-7.

I don't hate Mr. Fromm.  I don't even have any ill feelings toward him.  I am saddened for him.  I hope that through this he will see and feel the love that God has for him.  However, I do have ill feelings for things that he has proclaimed. 

http://gma.yahoo.com/northwest-christian-university-class-president-reveals-hes-atheist-110920428--abc-news-topstories.html

No comments:

Post a Comment