Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Choice of a Five Year Old

As I was getting my youngest son ready for bed tonight, he began scratching his leg.  I told him not to do so and that I would give him some medicine.  You see he has eczema.  I had just gotten him out of the bath, put his pajamas on him, and put his ointment on his skin, as needed.  We were standing in the bathroom getting ready to brush his teeth when he began scratching.  I reminded him that I would also give him an oral allergy medication to help with his itching.  Because I told him not to scratch his skin he became quite irritated.  I think he was more upset that he couldn't scratch than at me.  I know how frustrating it is not being able to scratch a place on your skin when it is itching like crazy.  I would be upset too!

As I watched him get upset I said to him, "We're not going to get mad about this.  That just makes satan happy and we are not going to let satan be happy!"  The look on his face begins to change.  I go further to tell him, "Satan wants us to get mad about things and be upset so we are not going to let him get what he wants."  Of course I am being very dramatic and over the top a bit by pointing my finger and stomping my feet a bit.  He says, "Yeah, we are not going to make satan happy!"  We both then proceed to do some karate chops and a few kicks :)  Without thinking, he went from being frustrated and upset to content.  He certainly did not want to give satan anything!

It is funny how God reminds us of things through our children.  That seems to happen quite often with me.  It doesn't matter if I am disciplining or encouraging my kids, God always uses those same words I say to them to speak to me.  And it is always right in the middle of what I am saying that I am given those revelations!  I am reminded to take my own advice and those exact words that I speak to my children hold true to me as well.  If I could more often choose to no longer be a slave to sin.  Paul tells us in Galatians that we are no longer a slave to sin when we are in Christ.  So why do we still choose that route sometimes?  Pride, arrogance, you name it.

How often I allow things or people to get me upset that shouldn't.  Now I know there is such a thing as righteous anger and I am not speaking of that.  I am talking about the little things that shouldn't matter so much to the point of getting upset.  I realized that in watching my 5 year old change his attitude with the snap of a finger, motivated by not wanting satan to get the best of him, was my lesson learned from him.  It is a choice.  He chose God.  He chose to be content just so satan wouldn't win that battle.  He didn't take time to think about it.  He didn't take time to evaluate the pros and cons.  He didn't think of an alternative plan.  He didn't think of an easier way.  Without hesitation, he chose to not be angry and he did it to be on God's side.

It is a humbling moment when you realize that you are the one learning from your own children, especially your 5 year old.  Humbling yet gratifying.  I thank God for speaking to me through my children.  I thank God for allowing His work to be done through my children.  I thank God for my children.  They really are the gifts that keep on giving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment