Thursday, September 26, 2013

Maybe Three Days In The Belly Of A Fish Wasn't Long Enough

Last week I was feeling led to dive into the book of Joel, a book I had never read.  I wasn't sure why because I didn't even know about the content of the book or what message God was revealing through it.  Not knowing this, Jeffrey happened to quote something that came from the book of Joel one afternoon so I took that as a cue from God for me to go ahead and read it, and with Jeffrey.  He agreed and we each read on our own time and discussed it a few days later.  It was really neat for me to be able to have that experience with Jeffrey and share our thoughts on what the scripture said and how we felt it spoke to us, individually and united. Of course I wanted to share that time again so I was up for reading whatever was next! :)  Ok, so why was I feeling led to go to the book of Jonah?  Seriously?  Another Old Testament book and a book I had never read?  Jeffrey had already started on a different reading plan but said he would catch up with me so I went ahead and started reading Jonah.  I'm a much slower reader than him anyway so it was fine :)  So off I go to read Jonah by myself.

Don't we all know about the book of Jonah?  Isn't the story of Jonah in the belly of a fish something we learn about as children?  Isn't that the first thing that you think about when someone mentions Jonah - a fish?  That's what I always thought about.  I actually never even read the book of Jonah until 2 days ago for 2 reasons.  One - I already knew the story right? Jonah lived in the belly of a fish for 3 days and God saved him.  Done.  Two - Because "I knew" the story it never occurred to me to actually read the book.  I much more enjoy the New Testament writings from Paul and the apostles and any book with the red letters :) Plus, it's a little crazy actually reading about a man who supposedly lived inside a fish, right?

After reading I didn't really have any questions or concerns arise so I drifted off to sleep.  I decided to re-read it last night just to go back over it as I always remember things better through repetition and I wanted to have a refresher course before Jeffrey and I discussed it.  As I read through it the second time, I seemed to be more focused on the actual personal feelings and actions of Jonah - and realized I can be just like him.  The last two verses were wake up calls.  Those verses spoke to me and I didn't really like it to be honest.  

Jonah 4:10-11
10 But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. 11 And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?”

That was the Lord's final response to Jonah.  Jonah was angry that God was choosing to pour out His grace on the city of Nineveh, which is exactly why Jonah was disobedient in the first place.  Jonah knew the kind of God the Lord was and didn't want a land full of wickedness, who by the way hated his people, to be spared.  He knew when God told him to go to Nineveh to preach to the people and warn them of God's wrath that He would spare them should they repent - and that's exactly what happened.  

How many times have we wanted revenge?  Wanted someone to suffer for their consequences? How many times does it make us furious to see someone live in constant sin apart from God and seem to prosper?  How often do we get taken advantage of, lied to, or betrayed by someone who seems to have no conscience about it?  We want them to pay for it.  We are hurt so we want them to hurt.  If we are honest, how many times do we get mad at God for showing someone grace who we feel doesn't deserve it?  Why should they get immediate grace and begin a road to confession and healing when we are still hurt by their actions?  That doesn't seem right does it?  How can we not be in the wrong yet suffer longer than the person that wronged us?  What if they wronged our loved one?  I know I have felt all of those emotions.   But I also have to remember that I was given that exact grace that I sometimes don't want others to receive just yet.

I'm sort of back tracking here but aren't those emotions the exact reasons that we choose to deliberately be disobedient like Jonah?  God gave Jonah two commands.  #1 - Go to Nineveh and #2 - Preach to the people there.  He didn't suggest it, He told Jonah to do it.  Jonah didn't want to give the people a chance to repent from his preaching so he fled, choosing to live in knowing disobedience.  I say knowing because it wasn't something Jonah was confused about or needed to pray about to see if it was really God telling him to go.  He knew it.  Because of Jonah's decision to flee, he was stuck at sea alone for 3 days nearly dying.  However, even in the midst of Jonah's clear disobedience, God saved him.  Jonah had a second chance to do what God asked of him and so he did.  Did Jonah deserve grace?  Here is someone, a prophet used by God, who would ultimately change the fate of a people group.  Seems to be a man pretty in tune with God and recognizes His voice don't you think?  Shouldn't he be held to a higher standard?  Or should he?  Do we, as a society, sometimes give a pass to those who "just don't know" yet seem to watch those who claim righteousness, through Christ, through a microscope waiting for them to fail so we can tear them apart because of it?  I guess my point is, we all need grace.  We all need forgiveness.  We all need someone who will fight for us. Nineveh needed grace.  That city needed someone who would bring the word of  God to them. They needed Jonah's intervention on their behalf.  God sent Jonah to fight for His people. Whether or not Jonah wanted to complete the mission God had given him, God still used it not only to save the people of Nineveh but to glorify Himself.  God also seized the opportunity to teach Jonah a lesson...and show him saving grace as well.

Jonah wanted justice.  He wanted them to suffer consequences for their wicked ways.  Why should they get away with acting like heathens then just be forgiven with the snap of a finger? Jonah became so consumed with God's grace over the people of Nineveh that he'd rather die that continue to see it.  As Chapter 4 wraps up, while Jonah is camped out waiting to see the fate of the city, he had taken shelter under the shade of a type of plant God provided.  The next day, the plant was eaten and destroyed by a worm and made Jonah even more angry.  Not only was he emotionally miserable, he was physically miserable too. This is where the last two verses of the book that I mentioned spoke to me personally.  Here they are again...

Jonah 4:10-11
10 But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. 11 And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?”

In direct response to the verses, Jonah was so focused on something, a mere plant, that had a lifespan of less than a 24 hours.  He was comforted by that plant.  When it was taken away, he was furious beyond control that he'd rather die?  To care and mourn over something that he had nothing to do with, his hands had no part in creating, his heart which had no compassion for the breath of life that came from that plant, nor did he do anything to sustain or help sustain the life of that plant.  He only took from it and gave nothing to it or for it.  He cared for it none, expect for the fact that it helped him.  And yet Jonah gets so full of rage over a caring and gracious God who wants to save His children?  Children that He created, breathed life into, provided for, and receives nothing from.  Not only children that He knew before they were knit together in their mother's womb, but lost children.  Children who needed His grace.  His love.  His patience.  His pursuit of them.  Jonah just expected God to have no compassion for His most prized possession?  Reminds me of Matthew chapter 6 when Jesus speaks about worrying.  The birds in air, reap and sow nothing, yet God takes care of them, feeds them.  And yes Jesus talks about plants and how the flowers grow in the field. without even laboring.  He sustains their life.  Jesus specifically says in verse 30, "If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will He not much more clothe you-you of little faith?"  Remember that plant that gave shade to Jonah, here today and gone tomorrow?  Jesus even said it!  Jonah's focus and perspective was on that which was not God's heart.  It was about his heart.

Sometimes it's so hard to put aside our hearts for God's.  Again, another glimpse into Matthew chapter 6....verse 21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also".  We need to be more about the business of what's eternally treasured instead of what's temporarily gained.

God clearly speaks through scripture that He desires no one to perish, both in the Old and New Testament.

Ezekiel 18:32 - For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD.  Repent and live!

1 Timothy 2:3-4 - This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth.

So what can I learn from Jonah?


  • To be obedient upon God's calling even when I don't want to.  Running away in disobedience sets me apart from Him.  Those consequences affect not only myself but others around me.
  • To admit the error of my ways and cry out to God in repentance.
  • To understand that my grievances affect others.
  • The lost and wicked should be prayed for and pursued, not forgotten and turned a blind eye to.
  • I am not judger, God is.  
  • I am not to be a slave to vengeance.  God is my Avenger.
  • To be reminded that I was given grace and deserved it no more than those who I choose to be angry at or desire vengeance against.
  • That God loves all of His children and that I am no more loved or less loved than those who don't know Him.
  • To be more focused on the repentance and changed heart of others versus seeing God's wrath poured out upon them for wrong doings.
  • When God puts someone on my heart to love or pray for or be the hands and feet of Christ to that I want no part of, do it anyway.  That's the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment