Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Does God really speak through a Cyndi Lauper song?

"All Through the Night", a Cyndi Lauper classic.  I rarely really listen to the words of songs and usually only like a song because of the sound or beat of it or maybe because the chorus sounds cool.  I can hardly ever tell you the meaning of a song or even sing the words back if the music isn't playing.  As I was listening to my iTunes playlist, this song began to play.  I'm browsing the computer as I'm listening so I'm half paying attention yet the words just jumped out at me.

Earlier this morning, I reluctantly sent out an email to 2 groups of women letting them know a prayer request of mine.  I was reluctant because I didn't want to make a big deal out of something that, for the most part, is a no big deal thing.  I received a call from my doctor yesterday informing me that I had some inconsistencies on my recent pap smear and that some abnormal cells showed up and that I needed to go in for a procedure called a colposcopy.  In all of my 20 years of getting paps, mine never came back with anything other than a normal verdict so I had no idea what a colposcopy was.  After speaking to the nurse, I knew that it was a routine procedure and that women have it done often but it consumed my mind for the rest of the morning, afternoon, and night.  I was so irritable and frustrated that I was allowing myself to become more irritated because I knew worrying would do nothing.  I kept telling myself that I needed to just send out a prayer request but talked myself out of it each time.  I woke up this morning and of course I am thinking about it.  As I'm brushing my teeth, God lays a verse on my heart:

Phillippians 4:6 - Do not be anxious about anything but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

As a child of God, I was to be anxious about nothing and in EVERY situation, no matter how silly I thought it was, I was to pray and ask for intercession with a joyful heart.  That word petition spoke to me.  What is a petition?  I always picture a petition as a piece of paper with a list of names who are all in agreement on what that petition, or request, is.  No matter how big or small, I needed my sisters petitioning with me.  I came home from taking the boys to school, sat down, typed and sent the email to the ladies.  Immediately I began receiving emails and texts from them.  My worries were lifted just hearing from them but there were a couple of instances that literally made me tear up and smile.  I was realizing AGAIN that by that small act of obedience in listening to the Lord tell me to share my feelings, He was already at work.

One text I received was from my new sweet friend, Starlette.  She texted that she saw my email and would be praying for me.  Her second text said that she was so happy that she gets to pray for me for a change.  I could feel the tears fill my eyes and I just began smiling.  Since Starlette and I met, I have been praying for her.  Not that she hasn't prayed for me but that was just kind of where I was with her.  We share some similarities in that mindset of always feeling like a broken record with certain "sob stories" and prayer requests.  I remember several years ago just begging for the day to come for me to be able to pray for others and lift them up to the Lord instead of always feeling so weak that I needed to constantly be lifted up in prayer.  I remember how freeing it was to finally be at the point of getting to do that for others.  It made me happy that my sweet friend was now getting to pray for me because I knew exactly how she was feeling by getting to do so!  God reminded me in that moment of being a servant.  We always think we have to be the ones to serve others but we forget that somewhere in that exchange there has to be one that is being served.  In this case, I was getting to be served by Starlette on behalf of her prayers for me.  She gets to give and I get to receive.  Isn't that just what Jesus did?  He was a servant but also allowed others to serve Him.  What about when Mary poured perfume on Him.  What about when Martha served Jesus when He came to her home?  What about when John the Baptist baptized Jesus?  Service is two-fold and we have to swallow our pride and allow others the gift of serving!

Emails were coming in from the ladies, however, they weren't just emails of encouragement.  Some of the emails being sent were prayer requests.  I was overwhelmed that some of the ladies were sharing what their struggles or requests were.  It was reminding me what we have been talking about in my small group the past 2 Sundays.  Sharing our stories with one another, being real, being genuine, being open with each other and for one another.  Even though I was reluctant in sending that email with my "silly fears", it allowed the opportunity for other ladies to share.  That WAS NOT my doing but all God.  I just submitted.  He led me to go down a certain road, gave me the courage to do it, then backed it up by showing the blessings that come with being vulnerable and honest and having enough faith to hand over our junk to Him.  I get to do both - be served by my sisters and serve my sisters by praying for them.  That was certainly not on my radar this morning when I chose to hit the send button.  My mood and attitude has been a complete turn around today.  I haven't had the least bit of worry and only joy has consumed my mind.  God reminded me that we have sisters in Christ for a reason and to take advantage of it.  

So how does all of this pertain to Cyndi Lauper?  I honestly can't tell you what the meaning of that song "All Through the Night" is about or the where the person was coming from who wrote it.  All I know is that earlier in the morning I was listening to my gospel playlist and took a turn and started listening to my pop playlist.  I just know that God was determined to speak to me regardless and chose to do it through a pop song.  Did God wake up this morning and change His plans to reveal Himself to me because of my free will to listen to pop music?  No.  When was the last time I listened to that song?  Don't remember.  He knew I would be where I was at that particular time and He met me there.  God can do anything He wants in any way He wants.  Did I choose freely and willingly this morning?  Yes.  Did He know I would be where I was emotionally, physically, spiritually?  Yes.  Were those moments pre-destined?  Rigged?  (shoulder shrug with a smile)...  At any rate, here are the words to the song and my thoughts:


All through the night
I'll be awake and I'll be with you
All through the night
This precious time when time is new
Oh, all through the night today
Knowing that we feel the same without saying 

(As this started to play, I felt as if God was saying those words to me.  That even though I sleep, He will always be awake and with me.  Each moment is a new one and precious in that it can't be repeated or taken back.  Regardless, He is there.)

We have no past we won't reach back
Keep with me forward all through the night
And once we start the meter clicks
And it goes running all through the night
Until it ends there is no end 

(In Christ, our past is forgotten and forgiven.  We don't need to allow past sin to hold us hostage.  We are no longer slaves to sin.  Stay with Me always.  Once we make our faith in Christ, "the meter clicks" - our new life begins and it runs always and until it ends, it remains - which is never ending in Christ.)

All through the night
Stray cat is crying so stray cat sings back
All through the night
They have forgotten what by day they lack
Oh under those white street lamps
There is a little chance they may see 

(Even in the very nights that I sleep in the presence of God, others don't.  There are those who continue to stray from God aimlessly wandering.  Their cries are amongst each other as they cry back and forth.  They forget the very thing they lack - Christ.  Under the lights and submission to the world, they don't see Him.)

We have no past we won't reach back
Keep with me forward all through the night
And once we start the meter clicks
And it goes running all through the night
Until it ends there is no end

Oh the sleep in your eyes is enough
Let me be there let me stay there awhile 

(Even when we are tired and weary, He wants to stay and carry our burdens for us.  Those 4 words, "let me be there" reminded me that He is always willing if we will only allow Him instead of shutting Him out with what we think are silly requests or cries.)

We have no past we won't reach back
Keep with me forward all through the night
And once we start the meter clicks
And it goes running all through the night
Until it ends there is no end
Keep with me forward all through the night
And once we start the meter clicks
And it goes running all through the night
Until it ends there is no end



No comments:

Post a Comment